Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 3, 2014 5:05 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9509419) - I've already responeded to RH's message; that response would appear if it has passed the Moderator. This is just to clarify an important point that might not have come through in the earlier post:

> (RH): I am not sure why you think the stakeholders can
> do this.

<snip>

The above was in response to a suggestion by GSC that:

> > (GSC): I claim that, most crucially, the
> > *stakeholders* in the educational system together
> > have ALL (or practically all) the ideas that are
> > needed [to develop an effective educational system
> > for their children; to rectify the ills of the
> > existing educational system].

To be accurate, GSC did NOT suggest that the "stakeholders can do this" (whatever 'this' might be)

GSC had actually just suggested that the stakeholders in the educational system actually had with them all (or at least most of) the good ideas needed that, if *integrated effectively* could bring about an effective educational system for the nation. I still insist that such is the case. This is not difficult to demonstrate. What the stakeholders need to do is to learn how to *integrate* the good ideas that they already have with them. What they need (but do not have) is an effective means to *integrate* their evailable good ideas.

What's so difficult to understand about the above quite simple concept?

I do sometimes wonder if a course on ('American') English poetry would help RH understand such ideas.

Further, RH has made the following remarkable comment:

> (RH): We (here) want
> something much better than that for our children.
>
> Bob Hansen

This comment from RH would be funny if it wasn't so sad. He seems to be IMPLYING that it is only US parents that want "something better" for their children - parents in other parts of the world do not!!!

No wonder that various other peoples often criticise what's called 'US Exceptionalism'. RH appears to be suffering a particularly severe case, I'm afraid.

GSC
GSC's post, to which RH brought out that above-comented response:
> > On Jul 2, 2014, at 4:09 PM, "GS Chandy"
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I claim that, most crucially, the *stakeholders* in

> the educational system together have ALL (or
> practically all) the ideas that are needed.

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy
GS Chandy