Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

I have stayed out of this analogy with studying deeper mathematics
because I'm jest yer typical white guy what ain't got no
rhythm. However, one of my colleague/friends studied percussion in
traditional (or one brand thereof) Indian music for years in pre-grad
school math in the US. Apparently, it is tremendously complicated to
master. I have no idea about the required mix of natural "feel" for
the complicated under-beats and more intellectual study but I'm
convinced that it's a healthy dose of each.

Wayne

At 08:53 AM 7/2/2014, Joe Niederberger wrote:
>R Hansen says:
> >A musical student can appreciate Beethoven as soon as they can
> count, even sooner some might say.
>
>Aah! Now I see, you are using "appreciate" in the usual casual
>sense, not the deeper kind of appreciation I'm talking about. That's
>why I brought up the Afro-Cuban music. Its deeper than one might
>think at first, and unless one grows up with it, you have to do some
>work to get to that deeper level. There's plenty of other music that
>would be inaccessible to a typical 3rd grader.
>
>Do people "grow up with math"? Well, yes. In my life I had people
>around me that were constantly pointing out the mathematical aspects
>of life and the world. I didn't learn calculus in grade school, but
>I already knew what it was generally about, the types of problems it
>help solve, etc.
>

>Cheers,
>Joe N

Date Subject Author