Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

At 12:59 PM 7/2/2014, Louis Talman wrote:
>That this is so is attested by what happened to my Ph.D. advisor when he
>obtained his first university position. His wife decided to give him an
>academic hood as a birthday present. The salesperson didn't happen to
>have a hood with the appropriate blue stripe signifying his field, so he
>sold her one with the brown stripe for accounting. She concurred with the
>salesman that that was "close enough". (He never straightened her out; he
>wore that hood at academic events until he retired fifteen or so years
>ago!)

Hat tip to him. I distrust anybody who even knows what those damn
things mean and absolutely anybody who cares.

On the other hand, some of our academic vestigial remnants must be
used whether they make sense or not. As department chair handling
the details of one of our new hires, I had to respond to a request
for additional information from the President's long-time top
assistant (which makes the story a little scarier). Why was I
recommending hiring a candidate with an advanced degree in philosophy
rather than mathematics?

Wayne

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys