Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 3, 2014 5:53 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9509953):

> On Jul 3, 2014, at 3:34 AM, GS Chandy
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > What the stakeholders need to do is to learn how to
> >*integrate* the good ideas that they already have
> >with them. What they need (but do not have) is an
> >effective means to *integrate* their evailable good
> >ideas.

> Ok, why then do you think this is possible? If the
> stakeholders can?t come to a consensus on the *best*
> strategy for education in a democracy, why would they
> do so with OPMS or any other method?

0) Check out the documentation that's been provided time and time again;

1) As already suggested in the post you're responding to, neither you in the USA nor we in India have what you fondly claim to be 'democracy'. As was clearly stated in that post, what we have in both nations, what's on is 'electoral democracy', which is a different beastie entirely.

2) Also as quite clearly stated in that earlier post (dt. Jul 3, 2014 10:13 AM, http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9509911), there are a couple of pre-requisites that may help you to understand - if of course you'd do yourself the favour of glancing through the background documentation that's been available practgically forever.

None of this is rocket science at all, there is nothing there that's difficult to understand, being based on the simplest common sense. My intention always has been that any high-school student should be able to understand it all - and plenty have done so though you apparently have not. Regret I'm unable to make it any simpler at this point. Anyway, I repeat it for you herebelow:
QUOTE
>> (GSC):
>>i) You should try to read up some of the documentation >>I have put up time and time again here at Math-teach;
>>
>>ii) Try to understand some of it. (Help available if >>required);
>>
>>iii) Do a few practical exercises on 'simple' issues of >>interest to you. (Help available if required).

UNQUOTE
As I had there observed, if you're unwilling to put in that minimum intellectual labour, then you may not understand.

> (RH): It seems that
> leaving your child?s future in the hands of the
> *stakeholders* is something to be avoided.

Is that right?

Did your son at any stage of his life EVER take a school bus? Did you happen to drive that bus yourself? If not, you had entrusted the safety of your son in the hands of the busdriver, who happened to be a 'stakeholder'.

Did your son ever attend a school taught by teachers other than you? Well then, you had entrusted your son's future in the hands of various teachers, the principal, etc, other caregivers, etc, etc - a whole number of stakeholders.

Or, are you claiming that you, Robert Hansen, filled all those roles??!!!

Tell us, will your son ever go to college?? Of course it's possible, I guess, that you, Robert Hansen aka Superman, will fill in all the manifold roles of a variety of 'college stakeholders' (professors, lecturers, tutors, deans, canteen staff and suchlike) - but most of us 'ordinary folk', not being Superman, would generally prefer to entrust our children's futures to a whole variety of stakeholders.

By the way, I just happened to observe that you, Robert Hansen, have somehow managed to shuck your Superman suit and have entrusted the future of your ENTIRE nation to the POTUS and the people he appoints in various roles. Remarkable...

Looking at all of the above, I find there is nothing that really deserves this kind of 'explanation of the obvious and the trivial'. It strikes me that you're only arguing for the sake of arguing, not for making a point of any kind.

More seriously, I would only add that - in the 'conventional way' - a great deal of the various 'systems' within which those stakeholders perform their various functions are EXTREMELY ineffective indeed.

(Examples abound everywhere, in the USA as well as in India, in almost any system we may consider).

Even when many individual stakeholders are highly competent and do genuinely desire to perform effectively, the high ineffectiveness of our societal systems hinder or prevent it.

It's a 'system problem'.

What is suggested is that all stakeholders (including the 'primary stakeholders in a true democracy' (the citizens) do need to seek out ways to ensure our systems function more *effectively*.

The late John N. Warfield developed the science that now enables us to analyse (and synthesise) systems issues and problems effectively.

> >> Further, RH has made the following remarkable
> >>comment:

> > (GSC): This comment from RH would be funny if it
> > wasn't so sad. He seems to be IMPLYING that it is
> > only US parents that want "something better" for their
> > children - parents in other parts of the world do
> >not!!!

> (RH): I meant here on this forum. It is evident that
> those
> participating in this forum want something better for
> their kids, than the current education system offers.
>
> Bob Hansen

Well, here on this forum or elsewhere, your "current education system" clearly simply isn't delivering what it's supposed to be doing - despite the widely accepted fact that the US has developed a 'higher educational system' that (in parts at least) is the envy of the rest of the world.

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy