Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jul 3, 2014, at 10:45 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> You keep talking about Beethoven as if he were a composition to play. You contrast it with "calculus", as if that were a text book.

Geez, it is just a figure of speech meaning that the student can play advanced music. It isn?t an uncommon figure of speech either. For example, Charlie was playing Chopin when he was only 5.

> Regardless, I just searched for "calculus third grade".
> Found this, which may have some food for thought:
> http://www.educationreimagined.org/2012/06/calculus-by-third-grade/

Does that look anything like the videos I showed you? Not that you are suggesting it does (I hope), but we are talking about two very different things here. These are not kids pretending to play music, they are playing music.

Does pretending to do calculus offer a benefit in elementary education? Not that I have found. It?s like mothers who play (or what ever you call it) Beethoven and Mozart next to their baby?s cribs or even next to their womb. I haven?t seen any significant results from either activity. But I said I was open on the 25%, so pretend away.

What really counts is the other 75%, which is my focus, and at this point am tickled to death that I recognized this early.

Isn?t it kind of odd that so much is written about the 25%, and so little about the 75%? It isn?t as odd to me now because I realized that we are more religious than we are reasonable. I guess it is that *human* thing. And I am ok with that. That is what the 25% is for. But the 75% is pretty damn straightforward, well, I mean after 6 years of study.:)

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy