Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 3, 2014 9:38 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9510167) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Jul 3, 2014, at 11:38 AM, GS Chandy
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >> (RH): It seems that
> >> leaving your child?s future in the hands of the
> >> *stakeholders* is something to be avoided.
> >>

> > (GSC):Is that right?
> >
> > (GSC):Did your son at any stage of his life EVER take
> >a school bus? Did you happen to drive that bus
> >yourself? If not, you had entrusted the safety of
> >your son in the hands of the busdriver, who happened
> >to be a 'stakeholder?.

> (RH):This isn?t what I meant at all. Of course our kids
> go
> to school, it is mandatory, unless you have the time
> to homeschool them. Nonetheless, we don?t leave it at
> that. My son will probably attend a private school
> for middle school unless we get lucky with the
> lottery and he gets a spot in the *choice* school in
> our area (similar to the charter school Joe?s kid
> attended). And I tutor my son several times a week to
> ensure that he is getting a real education. If we
> were to leave our children?s future in the hands of
> the stakeholders, we wouldn?t go through all of this
> trouble. And many parents don?t or can?t. We are not
> happy with the direction our education system went
> and we don?t leave the future of our children?s lives
> in its hands. That doesn?t mean we homeschool,
> although that is a valid alternative, excepting the
> social education elements.
>
> Bob Hansen

As usual, evading the issue, I see.

The issue encompasses:

i) *Stakeholders* involved in one's children's education;

ii) Seeking practical means to ensure that those *stakeholders* perform effectively within the 'educational system', which too often is ineffective and incompetent. When a 'system' such as the 'educational system' does not perform, this is a 'system problem';

iii) Seeking practical means whereby all stakeholders (including parents) may work to ensure that the 'system' may be made more effective.

(HINTS: Effectiveness cannot be accomplished via the 'slogans' we've seen at Math-teach. Some progress towards effective systems could become possible through effectively acting in and on the systems. This will demand that the *stakeholders* seek to understand the inter-relationships between the factors of the system. The "PRECEDENCE" relationship will not help, no matter how many 30-foot PERT Charts are put up on all the walls and other surfaces of the organisation).

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys