Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

kirby urner

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?
att1.html (2.0 K)

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> > Math pedagogy has everything to do with instilling compliance and a
> grin-and-bear it attitude to assigned work (homework). Math pedagogy is
> not about informing students about how the world works, even though those
> workings are intensely mathematical. That kind of knowledge is too
> dangerous to share widely.
>
> This part sounds like you want to take someone else?s politics out of
> mathematics and put your politics in it.
>
> I don?t want any politics in mathematics.
>
> Bob Hansen

I'm suspicious of any math that claims to not reflect politics or an
ideology.

Heads down 100% exercises, no history, no recog, no connecting the dots, is
highly political, as in "informed by those with a political agenda".

I'm definitely not on board with that particular brand of politics.

As for what my brand of politics is, it wouldn't matter that much because
I'm not proposing any "one size fits all" textbook series for nationwide
adoption.

I'm proposing that teachers have the power restored to them to source
curriculum, within the context of their school, which should serve as a
publishing hub. Students contribute. The servers grow in richness over
time (schools amass wealth thanks to faculty and student contributions).

In the age of wood pulp, that maybe would have sounded ridiculous.

In the age of electronic media, it's what sounds responsible and is the
obvious role for a school.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys