Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Joe N. posted Jul 5, 2014 1:38 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9511133):

<snip>
> (Joe N.): I think the way piano is sometimes taught is
> perhaps
> more a impediment to musicality, rather than a
> doorway. There may be more to this piano/math analogy
> than I thought first.

I'm sure you're right.

A fair bit of the 'conventional teaching of music' is indeed an "impediment to musicality" (as you've nicely phrased it). I surely found this out when we had what was termed 'music classes' in school. Just as much of the 'traditional teaching of math' is indeed a serious impediment to enabling the learner develop an appreciation for and skills in math.

At this thread you've started, you're rightly asking the important question, "Why do so many of us hate math?" - though, as I had observed in another posting at this thread, we certainly haven't progressed much to finding a 'workable' answer to it, an answer that could help us learn how "NOT to hate math at all - simply learn to appreciate it for what it really is and how to use it s a for various purposes in real life"...

The thing is, it is by no means extremely difficult to change things around in math (even if we do not as a rule learn how to love math!) - and this can be done within a couple of years at most (nationwide, whether in the USA or in India). I unfortunately had whatever 'musicality' I might have possessed as a child firmly snuffed out while I was in school so I won't venture to suggest how to rectify matters in music.

However, I did manage to overcome the impediments that would have hindered development of a love for and skill in mathematics - and I can clearly indicate how such a 'Mission' could be approached for math. As noted earlier, I may not be able to suggest how to bring about a "love of math" in students - but for sure the 'fear and loathing' that the great majority of students develop for math through 'traditional education' in math can definitely be overcome in short order.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys