Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:36 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> R Hansen:
>> I don't know how to *casually* entertain a thought. My awareness is just too high.
>
> The outward appearance is of one lost in a world of his own making, in which messages from the outside become wildly distorted.

I have discussions like this on much more serious forums, and this never comes up. If you are not serious about the subject (pedagogy) then why berate someone who is? The reason I like to participate in discussions on both types of forums, serious and casual, is that while serious forums provide better formal discussion it is difficult in those forums to lose that formality when things just need to be hashed out. Casual forums, while suffering the lack of formal discussion, can still be a good place to hash things out, as with this last discussion regarding 75%/25%. I gained a lot of insight in that discussion, and the moderator?s efforts are greatly appreciated.

People don?t call me wildly distorted. Overly serious, yes, but never wildly distorted. And I don?t think you think I am wildly distorted. I think you just don?t like me. It doesn?t take a genius to figure that out. And that is one of the risks of having a serious discussion in a casual forum. Some of the posters can be very emotional and some of them are going to seriously not like you. Something that tends to be much less of an issue in an serious forum. But I think it is a risk worth taking if you are serious about finding answers. And I am not saying that all posters in casual forums are like this, just some.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy