Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Oops, I let this one slide through; I thought it was more music stuff
but it's back "on task"!

At 09:43 PM 7/3/2014, Joe Niederberger wrote:
> >I'd change the focus a bit and ask if "machine grading" of
> mathematics is OK.
>
>Is grading of mathematics OK?

Yes, although I've never given any such myself in 100 years of
teaching at the high school and college level. However, on
broad-screen external testing (sometimes even schoolwide let alone
district, state, or federal it must be. Several issues trump
everything else: cost, objectivity of scoring, zero-sum math time
wasted learning to "mouse" to put answers in the desired form, and
more. The traditional tests are meaningful, genuinely well-written
conceptually-based grade-level-appropriate readily machine scored
mathematics tests can be written but they are difficult to write
(hence not appropriate for my own use) and we don't have the
political clout to do it in a statewide level much less
nationally. California had made great progress along that line
(resisted at every turn by GSC's beloved Education Mafia) but the
whole effort has been trumped statewide and nationally by people with
all mathematics background but deep industry tentacles.

>Who grades mathematics? Mathematicians, of course.

What's this "of course" stuff. It only happened in California's CSTs
and they've been replaced by the (as yet unseen) product of SBAC, the
math portion by Phil Daro (BA in English) who also led the math
portion of the earlier (and even more meaningless) incarnation the
New Standards Reference Exams in Mathematics after being 1 of 3 in
writing the math "standards" of the CCSS itself.
Under Common Core Has Even Parents Stumbling
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/30/us/math-under-common-core-has-even-parents-stumbling.html?_r=0

>What would the consensus be?

Among whom?!

Wayne