Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:37 AM, GS Chandy <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 5, 2014 8:36 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9511716) - GSC's remarks interspersed:
>>
>> On Jul 5, 2014, at 2:03 AM, GS Chandy
>> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> (GSC):In real life; in the real world where most of us
>>> live, the learning and understanding of music or math
>>> or anything else are all hugely more complex than RH
>>> H makes them out to be, and we (humans; science) know
>>> rather little about any kind of learning that we
>>> humans do.

>> (RH): This might help. Teaching everyone to be a
>> musician or a mathematician isn?t complex, it is impossible. ('A', from Robert Hansen)
>>

> It would help even more if you'd refrain from falsely suggesting that 'A', above - which has been put up by RH - represents any idea that GSC has ever put forward.

You said that learning and understanding is complex. I am saying that it is only complex when you define learning and understanding in the context of teaching students a subject that they are not inherently interested in or good at. When you define learning and understanding in the context of teaching students a subject they are inherently interested in and good at, then it isn?t complex. In fact, it is quite easy once you understand the process.

By all means please do clarify what you mean when you say that learning and understanding is complex, and give us some details as to who the teacher is and who the student is the context you are making this statement.

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy