Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 7, 2014 9:32 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9512923) - GSC's remarks follow:

> On Jul 7, 2014, at 10:8 AM, GS Chandy
> <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > (GSC): The learning and understanding of ANY SUBJECT
> >or discipline involve, I maintain, an extremely complex
> >set of mental activities, 'mental models' to be
> >constructed and then used, etc, etc.

> (RH): It seems that you are saying the the mechanics and
> details of how the mind works is complex, which I
> agree with.
>
> But what does this have to do with pedagogy?
>
> All of the successful teachers and learners to date,
> including several on this forum, including myself,
> have succeeded at learning, at understanding and at
> teaching others, without knowing the mechanics of the
> mind, which no one yet knows.
>
> Fortunately, pedagogy (the activity) is simple, when
> we are teaching inherently interested and able
> students, and doesn?t require us to know any of those
> details.
>
> Is this a fair distinction?
>
> Bob Hansen

It seems clear enough that you don't know what you're talking about/ writing about with such 'authority'.

On the other hand, I realise that we should not ignore that other possibility, remote though it may be:

It is always possible, isn't it, that GSC has not adequately studied enough ('American') English poetry properly to understand the subtleties concealed in RH's writing. (I have read some, for pleasure - though I must confess that I've never actually *studied* any in that way, modeling it, etc).

If that is the way you wish it to be, OK, have it your way. Life's too short, I'm afraid: I really have no plans or even remote intentions to *study* any ('American') English poetry, though I concede that US English is approximately the most dynamic and powerful variant of English that is current today. I read scarcely any ['American'] English poetry, these days; Elmore Leonard and the prose in the New Yorker provide me with all the literary pleasure I have the time/energy for. Of course, I shall therefore have to miss out on the subtleties hidden within Robert Hansen, alas...

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys