Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 7, 2014 10:37 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9512948):

> And how to teach it.
>
> Bob Hansen
>

> > On Jul 7, 2014, at 11:20 AM, "Joe Niederberger"
> <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > (Joe N.): I think we at least all agree that teachers
> > need to know the subject they are teaching.

Given, of course, that 'teaching' in real-life systems is never a 'thing-in-itself', that we clearly understand that it's an 'element', the 'secondary' member so to speak, of the 'learning + teaching' dyad.

For all too long, before the insights that the late John N. Warfield brought to systems science, the act of 'teaching' has been divorced (or at least forcibly separated) from the act of 'learning'.

True, some factions in the 'education system' have been seeking to marry 'learning' to 'teaching' via 'high-stakes testing' - which appears (to me, as an outsider) to be the wrong way to go about it.

As much as I as an outsider am able to see through all the smoke and furor and sloganeering that has been emanating, most of these efforts to marry have been rather unsuccessful to date: 'learning' and 'teaching' in the US education system remain unhappily divorced, as they more or less are in the Indian system as well.

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy