Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Joe N. posted Jul 7, 2014 8:40 PM (Jul 7, 2014 8:40 PM) GSC's remarks follow:

> Joe N says:

> > >Who grades mathematics? Mathematicians, of course.
>
> Wayne Bishop asks:

> >What's this "of course" stuff. It only happened in
> >California's CSTs and they've been replaced by the
> >(as yet unseen) product of SBAC, ... etc.

> (Joe N.): I should have put a big (NOT!) after my
> ill-fated
> attempt at humor. I think we at least all agree that
> teachers need to know the subject they are teaching.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

AND they should, as Robert Hansen has observed, also "know how to teach".

I've been suggesting that "knowing how to teach" IMPLIES that they know how to "relate to the learner's needs", something that's all-too-often ignored in much of the 'conventional view of teaching'.

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy