Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

At 08:13 PM 7/7/2014, GS Chandy wrote:

>I've been suggesting that "knowing how to teach" IMPLIES that they
>know how to "relate to the learner's needs", something that's
>all-too-often ignored in much of the 'conventional view of teaching'.

Of course, except for your "all-too-often ignored" comment. As with
a responsible parent changing a baby's diaper or (after some
comforting) leaving a distraught child on the first day of
kindergarten, a responsible mathematics teacher knows the learner's
needs at the grade-level and/or mathematics application in which he
or she is supposed to be teaching. Where we separate our ways is
that is NOT the teacher's responsibility to make sure the student has
been properly placed. If his or her needs is first to learn 4th
grade math but this is a 6th grade (or even algebra!) class, Biblical
precedent or no, leaving the 29 or 39 (hopefully not 99) to "relate
to that so-called learner's so-called needs" would be educational
malpractice compounding the educational malpractice of placing the
student there in the first place. And the reverse situation as
well. A wise mathematics teacher relating my needs in my 7th and 8th
grade years (even 6th but to a lesser extent), would have given me an
algebra book to read and work through independently even if she would
have been unable to answer my questions.

If the learner's "needs" are primarily to get a passing algebra score
on a transcript independent of the student's background or career
goals, the educational malfeasance may well rise to that of the
district, the state, or even the entire "professional" mathematics
education industry.

Wayne

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys