Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Joe N. posted Jul 8, 2014 10:32 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9513455) - GSC's remarks follow:

> GS Chandy observes:

> >Given, of course, that 'teaching' in real-life
> >systems is never a 'thing-in-itself', that we clearly
> >understand that it's an 'element', the 'secondary'
> >member so to speak, of the 'learning + teaching'
> >dyad.

> I think we can also all agree that learners need to
> be learning, and also know that they are learning.
> =
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Entirely agree.
Questions:

- -- How to ensure that the learners are 'actually learning' and not just 'pretending to be learning'?

and

- -- How to ensure that the learners 'know that they are learning'?

At primary school levels, these issues had long, long ago been pretty well sorted out by Mme Maria Montessori around 100 years ago - but the 'educational system' did not learn how to apply and put into practice the valuable lessons she had taught about how children learn and understand things. (Robert Hansen disputes this, claiming that the 'Montessori System' is just hokum [or ideas to this effect]. He is entirely incorrect, and it will not be difficult to demonstrate that).

Next steps: How to develop on what the Montessori System successfully accomplished so very long ago? We haven't even started!

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy