Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Wayne Bishop posted Jul 8, 2014 10:06 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9513447) - GSC's remarks interspersed and follow:

> At 08:13 PM 7/7/2014, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> >(GSC): I've been suggesting that "knowing how to teach"
> >IMPLIES that they
> >know how to "relate to the learner's needs",
> >something that's
> >all-too-often ignored in much of the 'conventional
> >view of teaching'.

> (Wayne Bishop): Of course, except for your
> "all-too-often ignored" comment. As with
> a responsible parent changing a baby's diaper or
> (after some comforting) leaving a distraught child on
> the first day of kindergarten, a responsible
> mathematics teacher knows the learner's
> needs at the grade-level and/or mathematics
> application in which he or she is supposed to be
> teaching. Where we separate
> our ways is that is NOT the teacher's responsibility to
> make sure the student has been properly placed. If his
> or her needs is first to learn 4th
> grade math but this is a 6th grade (or even algebra!)
> class, Biblical precedent or no, leaving the 29 or 39
> (hopefully not 99) to "relate to that so-called
> learner's so-called needs" would be
> educational malpractice compounding the educational
> malpractice of placing the student there in the first
> place.

I really don't believe I've ever suggested that things that you've described are part of the teacher's responsibilities. It's not just one problem: it's a whole mess of 'system problems' - and that is the only way they'll ever be resolved effectively: through the stakeholders (I sincerely do regret having to use this word to which you object) starting to understand the systems within which they live and work and play.

See remarks about 'systems', below.

>And the reverse situation as
> well. A wise mathematics teacher relating my needs
> in my 7th and 8th grade years (even 6th but to a lesser
> extent), would have given me an
> algebra book to read and work through independently
> even if she would have been unable to answer my
> questions.
>
> If the learner's "needs" are primarily to get a
> passing algebra score on a transcript independent of
> the student's background or career
> goals, the educational malfeasance may well rise to
> that of the district, the state, or even the entire
> "professional" mathematics education industry.
>
> Wayne

ALL the points you've made indicate quite clearly that the 'education system' is in a mess (as are most of our systems: individual; organisational; societal). AND, that you (i.e., the stakeholders in the education system; sorry again) do not really have a clue about how to 'clear up' the mess.

Hint: you in fact already have all (or at least most of) the ideas needed to resolve these problems in the system. What you do not have is:

a) a means to *integrate* all available good ideas (and to get rid of the bad ideas that are always floating around the 'mindspace');

b) a means to develop on available good ideas to develop effective Action Planning to resolve (or at least ameliorate) the problems confronted.

The attachments to my post heading the thread "Democracy: how to achieve it?" outline some practical tools that could help us put those good ideas together workably, get rid of the bad ideas - see http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536.

(We in India are also thus, perhaps much more, afflicted).

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy