Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Arithmetic through ordinary fractions, decimal arithmetic, ratio and
proportion, percent, and routine (as in cookbook but of mixed tapes)
word problems involving them is exactly what I have in mind.

Wayne

At 02:07 AM 7/8/2014, Robert Hansen wrote:

>On Jul 7, 2014, at 8:40 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
>

> > And it is delightful when that happens. Many times - even most
> of the times - we are not so privileged. Still we can't give up
> our mammalian responsibility (among many species, instinctive, to
> train our young to survive - even thrive - in their environments
> and sometimes that requires a bit of pushing. It makes for
> entertaining National Geographic shows; maybe we could get them to
> do some math classes?
>
>It is *delightful* when we are teaching subjects that we are
>inherently interested in to students who are inherently interested in them.
>
>That subject doesn't have to be mathematics and I can find no
>evidence that algebra is a mammalian instinct unless the vast
>majority of adults I interview are not mammals.
>
>Arithmetic and fractions, sure.
>
>Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys