Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Wayne Bishop posted Jul 9, 2014 6:48 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9513853):

> At 07:14 AM Jul 9, 2014 6:48 AM7/8/2014, GS Chandy wrote:
>

> >(We in India are also thus, perhaps much more,
> > afflicted).

> What's that?! After all your long-winded posts you
> are now telling
> us that OPMS has not resolved all of - or even most
> of - the
> education problems of India?
>
> Wayne

Yes. That is indeed that! OPMS has not yet been taken up or actively applied to any major 'societal issue'. Some of us are working towards that, and I shall be sure to keep you informed when any such happy event occurs.

As has been made entirely clear right here at Math-teach, OPMS has not yet been taken up on a large scale. But you have apparently been 'unable' to comprehend this. I for one find this 'inability' of yours to comprehend this simple fact of life to be passing strange for a Professor of Mathematics, one who has been sloganeering as follows: "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!".

(Things in the US educational system are apparently rather more dire than I had previously realised).

So, in an attempt to clarify if possible, I repeat: "We in India are also thus, perhaps much more, afflicted)". This is probably an outcome of our mental bondage to the British over a couple of centuries or longer.

It may be useful to understand (if such understanding is at all possible by such as you) that, when the British first came to India (to 'trade'), India was reckoned to be one of the richest countries (collection of kingdoms) in the world. It is believed that as much as 20% or more of the world's gross national product of the world originated from India. (Why else, after all, did the Brit [and US traders; and others] come here to 'trade'? They surely weren't here out of the 'goodness of their hearts'). When the Brits finally left, India was the 'basket case' of the world.

Here are a few useful references:

"Impact of British Rule on India: Economic, Social, Cultural (1757-1857)" - http://www.nios.ac.in/media/documents/SecSocSciCour/English/Lesson-05.pdf

"A Case Study of British Imperialism in India" http://webs.bcp.org/sites/vcleary/ModernWorldHistoryTextbook/Imperialism/section_4/earlyindia.html

"Ruin of India by British Rule" (Hyndeman Report on India) - https://www.marxists.org/archive/hyndman/1907/ruin-india.htm

"India before British Invasion ? Dharampal?s findings" - http://psenthilraja.wordpress.com/2007/09/28/india-before-british-invasion-dharampals-findings/

There's plenty more available.

Anyway, to revert:

'Systems' in India (including the educational system) are definitely in rather worse shape than are the 'systems' in the USA. This occurs (I believe) largely on account of our somewhat slavish Indian characteristic of running around after the the 'great white massas' of the USA, the UK, etc, etc - instead of seeking to learn how to resolve our problems without blindly imitating the 'great white massas'. I believe, however, that things are changing a bit, however. Let's watch developments over the next decade or so.

That slavish mentality is changing now, doubtless much to the alarm of you and your cohorts and consorts.

In your 'expert' opinion, has your 'wise', 'professorial' comment above helped in any way to tackle ANY of the problems or issues identified or discussed at this thread (or, for that matter, any problem or issue connected with 'education')?

I'd truly love to see your 'wise', 'expert' and most 'professorial' opinion on this.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy