Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jul 9, 2014 4:06 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9514167) - GSC's somewhat bemused remark follows:

> On Jul 8, 2014, at 1:51 AM, Louis Talman
> <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Well, maybe, PusHing and goaDing. Evidently, you
> >have to be good at those, and I suspect that it
> >requires lengthy study to get there...
> >

> (Robert Hansen): Not a study so much as experience. You > cannot
> *create* inherent interest in any particular subject,
> which is inevitably joined with ability. You can only
> discover it. But that discovery is often hindered by
> obstacles, such as stereotypes, anxiety, lack of
> confidence or life?s many distractions, and pushing,
> goading and encouragement are required in various
> degrees to overcome those obstacles. It is only after
> the student has given it an honest try to the best of
> their ability can they ascertain their inherent
> interest.

<snip>
Here we see what may possibly be described as "the evolution of Robert Hansen".

In the beginning, there was only PUSHING.

Then, when GSC had made some small fun of this idea of "PUSHING students to learn math!" (and doubtless everything else), Robert Hansen reinforced his 'philosophy of education' by adding the element of "GOADING" into the mix of desiderata required for children to learn math (and doubtless everything else).

Then, when GSC had poked yet more fun at this utterly unnatural 'philosophy of education', Robert Hansen somewhat reluctantly allowed "ENCOURAGEMENT" into the mix.

Then he denied that this (PUSHING and GOADING) was ever his 'philosophy of education'. (One is almost reminded of how St. Peter denied Jesus Christ).

Anyway, it now appears that "ENCOURAGEMENT" - though somewhat muted encouragement to be sure, and definitely LAST - ENCOURAGEMENT has now earned a third place in the pantheon of useful things, according to Robert Hansen, that might promote learning.

To contrast, here is the 'philosophy of education' (if one dares to give it such a lofty name) that develops from the application of the 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) to issues related to learning:

OPMS 'Philosophy of Education/Learning' (B):
==============
Children should be ENCOURAGED to learn. If the ENCOURAGEMENT is done effectively, they will on their own learn to PUSH themselves (and perhaps even GOAD themselves) to overcome the many difficulties they would definitely encounter in their journey to learning.

There's a whole world of difference between the Robert Hansen philosohy and 'B' (though the same elements appear in both).

At some stage, it may be well worth exploring these differences - and I may possibly do some of that after the OPMS website is up and running.

GSC

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys
GS Chandy