The Math Forum

Topic: common core geometry proofs
Replies: 10   Last Post: Aug 1, 2014 11:41 AM

Alex Stern

RE: common core geometry proofs
att1.html (8.3 K)

They did remove Locus also......Alex

Alejandro Stern
Math Chairperson 6-12
astern@mccsd.net
631-285-8137
________________________________
From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org <owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org> on behalf of Lisa Clark <barnsky@optonline.net>
Sent: Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:44 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: common core geometry proofs

This is what I am worried about?
The geometry curriculum did not take much out..(just logic...graphing parabolas....right??)

It added Trig and Transformations with proofs..more constructions...How are we going to have enough time to cover everything??

Looking at the modules, I do not see them giving enough days on Euclidean Geometry proofs..Those proofs take so much time !! You can't just jump into them..

Any thoughts??

Lisa Clark

On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Bruce Waldner wrote:

Way back in 1977, when NYSED allowed variances for Regents Examinations and the current curriculum was Math 9 (elementary Algebra), Math 10 (geometry), and Math 11 (algebra Two with Trigonometry), taught a Transformation Geometry Course to average and below average students where proofs were based on isometrics (rigid motions). Students had no more difficulty with proofs than they did in the state's Geometry course. They learned it that way. I think you are panicking because it is not the way you are used to doing it. Proofs through transformations are really no more difficult just different. Most students do have problems with proof of any style.

Sent from my iPad@

On Jul 12, 2014, at 10:33 AM, Tony George <tgeorge@atticacsd.org<mailto:tgeorge@atticacsd.org>> wrote:

I totally agree.
By the way are indirect proofs in the CC Geo.?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM, <JFish@csufsd.org<mailto:JFish@csufsd.org>> wrote:
I totally agree with Howard! One would only have to look at the statistics of the results on Euclidean proofs and coordinate/analytic proofs to see that the students are sufficiently challenged by them already. If only SED would read these posts and allow a little common sense to prevail !!!

Sincerely,

Jim Fish

Mathematics Department Chair
JFK High School
305 Cayuga Creek Road
Cheektowaga, NY 14227
(716)897-7800 ext. 1120<tel:%28716%29897-7800%20%20ext.%201120>

"We the willing, led by the unknowing,
are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much for so long, with so
little, we are now qualified to do anything
with nothing."

......Mother Theresa of Calcutta