Topic: Why do so many of us hate math?
Replies: 174   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:21 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Why do so many of us hate math?

'israeliteknight' posted Jul 16, 2014 12:16 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9519188) -GSC's remarks follow:

> It would appear that one of Montessori's grandest
> accomplishments is not only to remove tests and
> grades, but to ASSURE that no standardized test can
> ever be used to MEASURE their progress, or lack
> thereof.
>
> Montessori vaguely claims that studies have been done
> which "prove" that children in their schools WOULD
> score higher than public schools IF they were
> actually given a grade.
>
> Some of the best Education Mafia doubletalk I've ever
> heard.
>
> Montessori students DO "feel" like they know math,
> which reminds us of the following obserevation from
> William Bennett:
>
> Percent who feel "I am good at math" on IAEP Math:
>
> US 68%, 494
> Spain 60%, 495
> Ireland 49%, 509
> UK 47%, 511
> Korea 23%, 542
>

> The same phenomenon is now occurring with PISA,
> though on a grander scale

Mr 'israeliteknight' has often given us the benefit of his advanced research and studies on a whole variety of subjects related to 'IQ', 'human intelligence', 'mathematics', 'standard deviations', and the like. His latest, pasted above, refers to some of his findings on the Montessori education system.

Here are a few questions for a possible survey that should prove to be of some interest, if such a survey is ever conducted in a reliable way:

1) Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe Dr. Richard Lynn (Professor Emeritus of Psychology at the University of Ulster, Northern Ireland) and Dr. Tatu Vanhanen (Professor Emeritus of Political Science at the University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland) know anything worth knowing about human intelligence:

For those who don't know much about these eminent scientists, here's a link to the Wikipedia article about them and their magnum opus "IQ and the Wealth of Nations", 2002 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_and_the_Wealth_of_Nations. Professor Lynnn is, i understand, the 'guru' on whom 'israeliteknight depends above all others.

For those who do not know Mr 'israeliteknight', he is the author of that fabulous website "THE CHRISTIAN PARTY: Father's Manifesto" (http://fathersmanifesto.net/).

According to Mr 'israeliteknight', out of literally "tens of millions" of people who have examined that website, ONLY TWO have ever found any error or flaw in the website.

I understand that Mr 'israeliteknight' is offering, to anyone who finds a flaw in that wonderful website:

i) "a lobster dinner in/at Puerto Nuevo; OR

ii) three Indian children" (to those who may prefer Indian children to lobster).

I myself do not eat lobster or children at all, but according to 'israeliteknight', this is a wonderful inducement.

Lobster dinner inducement or no, I can certify that Mr israeliteknight's website is definitely one of one of the most laughter-inducing entertainment sites you will ever see at the movies; on the Internet; TV Late Night Shows; Burlesque, whatever.

2. Percentage of Math-teach readers who feel there is a clear-cut correspondence between human intelligence and 'IQ', as expounded by 'israeliteknight' in his many postings here at Math-teach:

3. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that 'israeliteknight' knows anything worth knowing about human intelligence:

4. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that israeliteknight's ideas about 'IQ' are worth understanding:

5. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that israeliteknight's ideas about statistics, 'standard deviations' (and the like) are reliable:

6. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that israeliteknight's ideas about calculus are reliable:
(Readers should be aware that Mr 'israeliteknight' prefers to term it "CALCULUS" to induce some shock and awe in Math-teach readers).

7. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that israeliteknight's ideas about calculus (or about "CALCULUS") are useful and/or reliable:

8. Percentage of Math-teach readers who believe that israeliteknight's ideas about the connections between "CALCULUS" and Navigation are reliable:

9. Percentage of Math-teach readers who feel that israeliteknight's ideas about mathematics would lead to progress for the US (or any other) math education system:

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
Anna Roys