The Math Forum

Topic: WM's argument disassembled - If you are his student, please PLEASE comment here
Replies: 5   Last Post: Jul 25, 2014 12:21 PM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

Re: WM's argument disassembled - If you are his student, please
PLEASE comment here

On Tuesday, 22 July 2014 17:09:56 UTC+2, Ben Bacarisse wrote:

> Set limits are (wrongly) thought by him to rely on
> completed infinity,

You are wrong. If you cannot understand it by your own intellect, try to trust in Cantor or Hilbert. For instance the limit of the FISONs is |N, a completely finished infinite set: No natural number is existing that could be added. Hessenberg's proof ... Have you not yet understood it? An average student needs 10 minutes.

> WM may, in fact, be a classical
> 0.999... = 1 denialist, except for the fact that his book states the
> above equality for 1/3,

0.999... is an abbreviation of 1. The actually infinite sequence of aleph_0 nines can only exist if actual infinity exists. It does not.

Regards, WM