The Math Forum

Topic: Why Do Americans Stink at Math?
Replies: 26   Last Post: Aug 9, 2014 1:53 PM

kirby urner

Re: Why Do Americans Stink at Math?
att1.html (3.5 K)

Hey, very apropos, this topic, given August 6 was yesterday.

Here's my write-up of the memorial / ceremony that happens in Portland
every year (next year marks 50 years -- didn't start right away).

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2014/08/more-counting-down.html

There's nothing about asking for an apology here. It's more that humans
aren't much more than stupid apes except apes aren't quite as stupid.

Sorry, not clear. I mean with the discovering of atomic decay processes,
humans got seriously in over their heads in a lot of ways.

The Columbia River is already radioactive thanks to the sloppy / slapdash
Nagasaki bomb builders, and now the local train company is dumping coal
dust into the river from its trains, hoping the public won't care or notice
(when did the public ever care about or notice anything right?).

Did you hear the latest, about that "super safe" nuclear waste disposal
facility, now burping radioactive hiccups because the wrong kitty litter
was used?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/23/5742800/did-kitty-litter-just-kill-the-most-successful-nuclear-waste-facility

Anyway, karma has a way of meaning the same thing as physics means by
"cause and effect". A lot of us will have shorter life spans thanks to
that genie getting out of the bottle. Fukushima, Chernobyl... these are
trillion dollar calamities, right up there with BP's uncorking oil and
pouring countering chemicals into the Gulf of Mexico.

Like I said, stupid apes. Who needs "The Dawn of..." when we're already up
to Twilight Zone.

Kirby