The Math Forum

Topic: Teaching Is Not a Business
Replies: 2   Last Post: Aug 18, 2014 9:22 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Teaching Is Not a Business

Referring to "Teaching Is Not a Business", by Professor David L. Kirp (kindly brought to our attention by Jerry Becker, Aug 18, 2014 4:20 AM, http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2645159):

I've already responded to the article in some detail. Professor David Kirp has quite a few worthwhile ideas that could, I believe, very significantly impact your education in a positive way.

Here are some more VERY worthwhile ideas, taken from Professor Kirp's 'Research Profile', which I believe US stakeholders in education would do well to consider *integrating* into their Action Planning for an effective educational system:

QUOTE
>(Kirp's) five big ideas in brief include giving young
> parents strong support;
>
> providing high quality early education linking schools
> and communities to improve what each offer children;
>
> providing mentors to youngsters;
>
> and setting aside a nest egg for teens to
> help kick-start college and career.

UNQUOTE
See David Kirp's 'Research Profile', here: http://research.universityofcalifornia.edu/profiles/2011/10/david-kirp.html .

I believe some 'pundits' will suggest that Professor Kirp's above-noted ideas would lead to a lot of 'free-loading'. I claim that - effectively designed and implemented - these suggested measures could provide a huge boost for US (and other) educational systems.

It's probably correct that there will be some 'free-loading' to begin with - I claim that the 'system will soon learn' how to prevent most of the freeloading.

These are, in fact, ideas that will surely be generated if ever stakeholders in education enter into an effective process to design the educational system. Offhand, as an outsider to the US system, I believe that Professor Kirp's suggestions have effectively taken into their ambit most aspects of US society and culture. What will develop is not a 'monkey copy' of a system developed for some other culture.

GSC