The Math Forum

Topic: Re: should students watch this video series?: Dimensions (originally in French)
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 3, 2014 12:36 PM

kirby urner

Re: should students watch this video series?: Dimensions (originally in French)
att1.html (2.4 K)

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 6:24 AM, GS Chandy <chandy.sag@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thus, we may anticipate that KU's ignorance about systems models and how
> to use them in real systems is likely to continue, notwithstanding his
> enthusiasm for 'general systems theory' (GST).

As I've mentioned, I was posting web pages regarding GST long before you
joined math-teach and began extolling the virtues of your little
application of it: OPMS.

One of its applications was Project Renaissance:
http://grunch.net/synergetics/pr.html

Another example web posting that predates any knowledge of OPMS and/or GSC
on my part:
http://grunch.net/synergetics/gstwork.html

I just want to remove the impression that may have developed in some
readers that I in any way "sit at the feet of" GS Chandy regarding GST just
because he comes from India and some westerners are prone to think every
wise guy in India is some kind of guru or bagwan. Not in my case.

Given the shared interest in general systems theory (lately abetted by
dynamical systems theory ala Sante Fe Institute etc.), it made sense to
test the waters to see if collaboration were indicated.

I've concluded that for now, Agile, not OPMS, suits my needs better. My
school already teaches that in connection with TDD (test driven
development).

However, I will continue to use the ideas of "mission" and "action plan",
albeit in a refined / alternative way I think grounded in the English
language (i.e. no permission or attribution required). I don't expect to
learn further from GSC about the meaning of these terms as I use them in
connection with the BE DO HAVE projects completion cycle (see
grunch.net/synergetics/gst1.html, gst2.html and gst3.html -- all predating
my association with "that OPMS guy").

Kirby