The Math Forum

Topic: Everything we know ... is wrong!
Replies: 13   Last Post: Oct 27, 2014 9:12 AM

kirby urner

Re: Everything we know ... is wrong!
att1.html (3.2 K)

On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net>
wrote:

> G S Chandy says:
> >I personally feel that Joe N. is in error in the 'dismissive' title he
> has given to the article linked at this thread - it refers to a famous
> essay "A Mathematician's Lament" by Paul Lockhart, which should be
> compulsory reading for anyone interested in math education.
>
> I didn't give the article its title, it was published in "Business
> Insider" as "Everything About The Way We Teach Math Is Wrong". Its a silly
> title that seeks to get attention is all; you've seen other like it no
> doubt. I also doubt anyone has been damaged by the title, but thanks for
> your concern. BTW, best of luck if you regularly submit articles for
> publication with titles like: ""Much about the way we teach math in schools
> is wrong/ should be improved/ can easily be improved".
>
> I posted it here for anyone who has never seen the Lockhart lament, and
> for those who read it, to make up their own minds about what he says.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Thank you for being so patient with this OPMS student, GSC, someone I
regard as a colleague, albeit in a distant land with its own politics and
weirdness.

GSC is anti-slogan and yet commercial messages need to be fleeting if there
at all, and promoting commerce among peoples has been shown, throughout
history, to increase customer satisfaction with their lot, so I'm not one
to ban advertising even were I to kill my television or whatever
melodramatic act.

You may recall my 'Abducted By Quakers' campaign, purposely a meme small
enough to fit on a bumper sticker.[1] GSC seems to not like such simple
action plans and wants to go on wordily, which feeds my stereotype about
people in India being overly bureaucratic in an attempt to make "earning a
living" (a British concept, sneezed at by Bucky) a more doable prospect for
so many. I prefer pithy.

Anyway, we're working out our differences. I'm more a devotee of Agile and
came to OPMS late in life. I see where Warfield and Peirce could be very
important influences and that's why I keep coming back for more.[2] These
are not the authors I've spent the most time with (more Wittgenstein and
Nietzsche over here, recent dabbling in Egoism ala Stirner et al (Bob might
make a good egoist!)). I'm all about broadening horizons.

Kirby

[1] http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9612338

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sanders_Peirce