The Math Forum

Topic: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Replies: 138   Last Post: Dec 10, 2014 2:17 PM

kirby urner

Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
att1.html (2.5 K)

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net
> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> Finally, I'm happy to accept your chess problem as mathematical. Frankly, I
> don't know what a survey on that question, given to working mathematicians,
> would turn up. And, any mathematically acceptable way of arguing it would
> have to be logical in my opinion. (If you have an illogical approach that
> is also mathematical I'd be fascinated to hear about it.)
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

I think we mostly agree. Criteria apply.

A proof is not a recipe nor even algorithm.

An algorithm tends to have proofs in the background, to back it up as it
were, e.g. we make use of V + F = E + 2 in some step in a computer program,
e.g. we get E from V + F - 2, but then why is it safe to get E in this
way?

In the background: Euler's Theorem for Polyhedrons and the many proofs
thereof, my favorite probably the one by G. K. C. Von Staudt:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/junkyard/euler/interdig.html

[ however this is not my favorite forumulation of it; that would be in
Peter Cromwell's Polyhedra, cite http://www.liv.ac.uk/~spmr02/book/ ]

The other thing I'd say is: lets not go overboard in assuming some finite
roster of individuals tagged as "mathematician" truly owns or controls or
governs the discipline and shared heritage we loosely call mathematics
("loosely" because anything tighter would be clearly too tight and
therefore outright wrong).

Innovations come in from left field all the time e.g. most naturally from
closely neighboring disciplines, and those self-identifying as official
spokespersons for mathematics, i.e. mathematicians, must scramble to keep
their background cosmetically acceptable i.e. the pros keep it looking
professional, add the right panache (sometimes a little lipstick on the pig
is all one needs).

Kirby

Date Subject Author
11/24/14
Read "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Carleton Washburne
11/24/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Dave L. Renfro
11/24/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
11/24/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
11/24/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
11/25/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
GS Chandy
11/25/14
Read {Spam?} Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Gary Tupper
11/25/14
Read Re: {Spam?} Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Louis Talman
11/27/14
Read Re: {Spam?} Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
GS Chandy
11/25/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Bishop, Wayne
11/25/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
11/25/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
11/25/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
11/26/14
[...]
israeliteknight
11/27/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Anna Roys
11/27/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Bishop, Wayne
12/1/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
12/1/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/1/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
12/1/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
11/27/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Dan Christensen
11/27/14
[...]
11/30/14
[...]
Domenico Rosa
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
israeliteknight
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Domenico Rosa
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
GS Chandy
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Richard Strausz
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
israeliteknight
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
11/28/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
11/29/14
[...]
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
kirby urner
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Carleton Washburne
12/2/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
GS Chandy
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Robert Hansen
12/3/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/9/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
GS Chandy
12/9/14
Read Re: "What is a Proof, Really?" - Keith Devlin
Joe Niederberger
12/10/14