Topic: Goldbach conjecture
Replies: 43   Last Post: Sep 26, 2000 8:55 AM

Fred Galvin

Re: Goldbach Conjecture

On 17 Sep 2000, Daniel McLaury wrote:

> I don't think that Euler would have been fooled by something
> as simple as x^2 + x + 41. After all, it is obvious that f(41)
> is 41*43. He may have given this as an example of why not to
> rely on anecdotal evidence. One of my favorites is the polynomial
> (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)*...(x-n), multiplied out so that its form is not
> so obvious. Then the prof/teacher says, f(1) = 0, f(2) = 0, ...
> so therefore f(x) must always equal 0. Half the students are
> convinced, and then the teacher takes f(n+1) = n!, which is
> _very_ far from being 0.

A silly example: the "identity" (1+2+3+...+n)! = 1!3!5!...(2n-1)!
which is true for n = 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4, but false for all larger
values of n. Not in the same league with Euler's x^2+x+41 of course.

--
"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an art."--McCabe

Date Subject Author
10/29/97
Read Goldbach conjecture
Amin Ahmad
10/29/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
10/30/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
David Ullrich
10/30/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
11/2/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Warwick Pulley
11/2/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Ron Bloom
11/3/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
feldmann@bsi.fr
11/4/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
David Ullrich
11/10/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Bob Runkel
11/11/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Richard Carr
11/19/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Richard Carr
11/3/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
11/3/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Warwick Pulley
11/3/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
11/8/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Andre Engels
11/9/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Warwick Pulley
11/10/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Meinte Boersma
11/13/97
Read Mertens' Conjecture [was: Re: Goldbach conjecture]
Chris Thompson
9/16/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
Daniel McLaury
9/17/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
Fred Galvin
9/17/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
Jan Kristian Haugland
9/17/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
denis-feldmann
9/17/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
Erick Wong
9/26/00
Read Re: Goldbach Conjecture
John Rickard
11/6/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Richard White (CS)
11/6/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
James Graham-Eagle
11/6/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Legion
11/6/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
11/7/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Legion
11/7/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Gerry Myerson
11/4/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
David Petry
11/3/97
Read Who/What is the Goldbach conjecture?
Chris J. Bennardo
11/3/97
Read Re: Who/What is the Goldbach conjecture?
Gerry Myerson
11/8/97
Read Re: Who/What is the Goldbach conjecture?
Andre Engels
11/5/97
Read Re: Goldbach conjecture
Robert Hill