Date: Sep 23, 2017 3:49 PM
Author: Dan Christensen
Subject: Re: 0 = 1

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 12:41:43 PM UTC-4, FredJeffries wrote:
> On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 9:10:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Christensen laid down the law:
>

> > If you cannot formally define these concepts of yours purely in terms of the symbols of logic and set theory (or some equivalent), it isn't mathematics.
>
> That's ridiculous. You have just chauvinistically declared the mathematics of thousands of years and hundreds of cultures to be "n[o]t mathematics"; not to mention all of the experimental and not-yet-formalized current research; not to mention all of the checkbook balancing done by millions of people who never saw a "symbol of logic" in their lives.

Ordinary arithmetic (2+2=4, etc.) was formalized some time ago. So too has algebra, calculus, differential equations, etc. As for "experimental" research, it will always be just a preliminary work until it can be axiomatized.

I really have to admire those have staked their careers on such speculative ventures, hacking their way through tractless mathematical jungles, but failure is real possibility. But I guess it wouldn't be very exciting otherwise!

Dan