Date: Oct 6, 2017 12:51 PM
Author: bursejan@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Can two series, both diverges, multiplied give a series that converges?

I don't know what formal multiplication John Gabriel
used. You have different options:

Option 1: Algebra Product

MATH 304: CONSTRUCTING THE REAL NUMBERS,
Peter Kahn Spring 2007
http://www.math.cornell.edu/~kahn/reals07.pdf

Option 2: Cauchy Product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_product#Cauchy_product_of_two_infinite_series

They give different partial sums. Option 1
and Option 2 have different sweep patterns:

Option 1:

A A B _
A A B _
B B B _
_ _ _ _

Option 2:

A A B _
A B _ _
B _ _ _
_ _ _ _

Exercise: Show that although the partial sums
are differently built (different sweep pattern),
the limit is the same, if it exists.