Date: Feb 2, 1993 3:17 PM
Author: Gene Klotz
Subject: Project ARISE: description and call for authors

We are pleased and excited to announce that COMAP has received funding
from
the National Science Foundation for a comprehensive project to develop a
high school curriculum, ARISE. This is a five-year program to produce,
field-test, and disseminate a complete grades 9-11 mathematics curriculum.
In the COMAP tradition, this curriculum will be aimed at the average
student and most importantly, be truly applications driven. This will be
an
integrated approach, where the mathematical topics will arise only as
needed, directly from the real-world context. In addition to print
materials for both students and teachers, there is funding for a
significant amount of new video production, which will allow for
additional
dissemination through emerging electronic technologies.

The project team includes Landy Godbold of The Westminster Schools, Henry
Pollak of Bellcore (retired), Kay Merseth of Harvard University, David
Moore of Purdue University, Gary Froelich, and myself. Major partners in
this effort include Thomas Romberg of University of Wisconsin, Joseph
Rosenstein of Rutgers University, Jan de Lange of Freudenthal Institute,
Stephen Rabin of Educational Film Center, and Barbara Flagg of Multimedia
Research.

Formal plans call for the creation of a detailed outline and two sample
units this summer with pilot testing in the fall; a full grade 9
curriculum
by summer 1994; grade 10 by summer 1995; and grade 11 by fall 1996. There
will be extensive field-testing and revision as the materials become
available.

As noted above, the major writing efforts will take place during intensive
summer sessions. While several COMAP authors will join the writing team,
it
is our hope and intention to greatly expand our network. The community of
individuals actively involved in the development of new materials and
approaches is too small and too overcommited to effectively address a
problem of this magnitude, even with the new resources being offered by
the
public and private sectors. Those resources and funds must be used in a
way
to bring new and younger people to the fore. We need to grow the next
generation of leaders in Mathematics education.

Therefore, we are including in this report a call for authors. We are
seeking experienced teachers and authors to join us this summer and
hopefully in future summers to work with us to make the AR1SE vision a
reality. There will be significant financial support available for this
effort. This summer's workshop will be in two sessions the first will be
held in the two weeks following the 13th of June and the second session
will be held the first three weeks in August.

We sincerely hope you can join us in our efforts as writers, reviewers,
and
field-testers. Please watch this column for more information as materials
become available for review.