Date: Apr 2, 1995 11:51 PM
Author: Ronald A Ward
Subject: Chapter 7--Everybody Counts

This is the last chapter and not a moment too soon [I fly out to Beantown
in the am]. Feel free to comment. Chapter 7 is entitled "Action."

1. Why is there _at this time_ a "particular urgency" and a "special
opportunity" for reform in mathematics education?

2. Why is it necessary to have _national_ consensus on common standards
and objectives in order to have high-quality mathematics education?

3. Why shouldn't we simply imitate the very successful Japanese approach
to mathematics education?

4. What is meant by an "augmented grassroots" model of curriculum
development? What is the relevance of the "highly mobile society"
characteristic of the U.S. for a successful change strategy? What is the
nature of the "transformed school environment" that will be necessary for
the professional leadership of teachers?

Well, folks, that's all for now. I look forward to seeing many of you at
the Boston meetings of SIGRME, NCSM, AMTE, and NCTM. If you can't make
it this year, perhaps you can attend the San Francisco meetings in '96.

Ron Ward/Western Washington U/Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu