Date: Apr 10, 1995 10:15 PM
Author: Anne Wheelock
Subject: conference highlight

I am enjoying the comments about highlights of the conference.  As an
education writer and advocate for middle school reform, I most enjoyed
meeting Glenda Lappan and other developers of the NSF-funded,
standards-based, new comprehensive middle grades math curriculum from
Michigan State called the Connected Mathematics Project. It seems to me
that any student who had had the opportunity to experience this curriculum
would really understand how to describe and understand a lot of her/his
world mathematically. The applications-connections- and extensions are
rich, and the varied assessments have the potential for making it all stick.
I look forward to observing this in a school someday soon.

Anne Wheelock
wheelock@shore.net
Boston, Massachusetts, USA