Date: Apr 11, 1995 3:39 PM
Author: Dawn Hoyt Kidd
Subject: Math in England

>Karen Dee Michalowicz wrote:
>I'm already thinking about l997. I do a math tour of England
>each year with my middle school students. I think I will
>propose speaking on what I do. It's a ball. Does it sound
>interesting to you all?

Karen - yes it does sound interesting! Math history is not my area, but it
sounds fascinating. A friend brought me a book that sounds perfect for
your trip to England w/ middle school students (you may already be familiar
with this due to your interest in the area of history)
:
A Teacher's Guide to Maths and the Historic Environment,
by Tim Copeland. Published by English Heritage

This book could be used for any historical sites, not just those in
England. There are tons of hands-on activities relating the
characteristics of historical sites with mathematics. The activities
involve measuring, estimating, geometry, graphing, etc. etc., all in the
context of questions about the site, i.e. Who lived here? What was it used
for? Which were the important rooms? How big/old was it? What was the
shape? and many others. It is really a neat book - I have not used it
yet, but I see lots of possibilities. If you are interested I have the
address of the publisher. Have a great time!!

Dawn Hoyt Kidd/University of Texas at Austin