Date: Apr 13, 1995 2:26 PM
Author: Linda Dodge (Frontier RSH)
Subject: Re: manipulatives/ parents' role

Sjpeaking of kids and museums....this year I cosponsored a math club for
fifth and sixth graders. In March, which is a grey, inbetween, nothing kind
of season here in New England, we planned a FAMILY day trip to the museum
about 1 hour away. We had use of the Hands'on geometry exhibit room for the
morning. Every one brought a sack lunch and we planned a few a la Family
Math activities for the period after lunch and then we turned folks loose to
enjoy the rest of the museum. We have 14 kids in our club...12 came with
their folks. Very positive feedback.

Perhaps we can help facilitate FAMILY visits to places and things by
planning these trips on weekends instead of during school hours.

--
Linda Dodge
Math Consultant