Date: Aug 29, 1995 7:06 PM
Author: Ronald A Ward
Subject: Re: constructivism forward #2

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 16:13:10 -0500
From: Tad Watanabe <tad@midget.towson.edu>
To: Multiple recipients of list <amte@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject: Re: constructivism in methods courses

I think Dan's question is a central issue when we consider teaching math
methods courses informed by constructivism. If, as Dan believe, teaching
mathematics requires different pedagogies than teaching methods, then
what does it mean to "model"? What is it we are attempting to model? Is
the notion of "modeling" consistent with the constructivism epistemology?

Tough question, I think.

Tad Watanabe
Towson State University
Towson, Maryland