Date: Feb 19, 1995 9:21 PM
Author: Ed Wall
Subject: Doubling math classes

Question: Some high schools are recommending that students that do well
in Algebra I (i.e. A students) double up next year (i.e the sophmore
year) and take Geometry and Algebra II so that they can take Calculus by their
senior year. Is this a reasonable thing to recommend?

I am somewhat dubious about the utility of taking Calculus the senior year,
but I wonder just what the math classes are like at these schools. I
would hope that Geometry and Algebra II alone offered sufficient challenge to
even the best student. Certainly the material that COULD be covered is more
than sufficient for such a challenge.

Ed Wall