Date: Feb 20, 1995 9:21 PM
Author: Geri Anderson-Nielsen
Subject: alg/geo to calculus

I agree with Joan, Karen Dee and Judy--there's a lot of good math to learn
in high school without rushing to calculus. However last week I felt again
like I was fighting a losing battle against the college admissions officers
and the parents who want their children to go to those colleges. We in the
K-12 schools need help in the form of a message from college admissions. As
long as they give more value to calculus than they do to courses in discrete
mathematics, statistics, etc. we will have to offer those courses.
Geri Anderson-Nielsen
Georgetown Day School
gnielsen@dmso.dtic.dla.mil