Date: Jun 30, 1995 6:59 AM
Author: LPETERSON@bnk1.bnkst.edu
Subject: re: effectiveness of lectures

Kent Luteman wrote:
<<The lecture is still the most effecient way to impart "certain kinds" of
knowlege to a large group of students. >>

Kent has brought up, for me, an important issue with the words: "'certain
kinds' of knowledge" I can only think of one type of mathematical knowledge
that is best conveyed via telling and that is the terminology that is in
common usage for communicating with others about certain conceptual
understandings. Can anyone please tell me other kinds of mathematical
knowledge that are best transmitted by telling as opposed to constructing?

--I just thought of another----historical perspectives that might add to the
student's appreciation of the development of a mathematical idea?

Lucille

Lucille L. Peterson
Math Leadership Program
Bank Street Graduate School of Education Tel: 212-875-4665
610 West 112th Street Fax: 212-875-4753
New York, NY 10025 E-mail: lpeterson@bnk1.bnkst.edu