Date: Jun 13, 1995 12:07 AM
Author: DanH150093@aol.com
Subject: Re: Kansas City. Mo. Supreme Court Decision

Y'all-

Today the Supreme Court ordered a federal judge to tone down his demands on
the State of Missouri to desegregate K.C. schools based on differences in
test scores.

While far from an expert on this case, I've seen or read reports on "60
Minutes", MacNeil-Lehrer, and "the Economist" which chronicled the amazing
amount of time, money, and effort to build magnet schools. Apparently,
there's been a net improvement of nothing, nada, zero after a billion or so
samolians have been spent on this project.

I'm interested in knowing what reforms (if any) were made in the math
instruction. Did they just build new buildings or did they improve teaching?
Was there any reform aimed at making students responsible for their
education? How can anyone spend a billion dollars and not get any
improvement?

Perhaps, Judy Roitman, who lives in an adjacent state has some perspective on
this issue. (BTW, congratulations, Judy, on your extensive quotations in our
California Math Communicator which appeared in my mail box today.)

Dan Hart
SFHS
LAUSD -"Where breaking up is hard to do."