Date: Mar 27, 1995 3:46 PM
Author: Ronald A Ward
Subject: Chapter 5--Everybody Counts

I am continuing the series today with Chapter Five ["Teaching"] on pages
57-70. Please feel free to comment as we lead up to all the Boston meetings.

1. The author says, "In addition to beckoning with the light of future
understanding at the end of the tunnel, we need even more to increase
illumination in the interior of the tunnel." An interesting quote! What
does it have to do with "retrospective understanding of mathematics"?

2. React to this myth: "The best way to learn how to solve complex
problems is to decompose them into a sequence of basic skills which can
then be mastered one at a time."

3. The author points out that the United States is "one of the few
countries in the world that continues to pretend--despite substantial
evidence to the contrary--that elementary school teachers are able to
teach all subjects equally well." What recommendations for change would
you make to ameliorate this situation?

4. The author argues for less directive strategies of teaching and
claims that "less teaching will yield more learning." What is the price
to pay for less directive teaching, and on what basis could such claims
of more learning be made?

Ron Ward/Western Washington U/Bellingham, WA 98225
ronaward@henson.cc.wwu.edu