Date: Mar 6, 1995 8:56 AM
Author: JansonEdit@aol.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: Bill 314

I don't know what to believe anymore.  I will still send the original message
about the bill and the petition, if those of you who requested it still want
it (ask again, please). Although, it seems a moot point....

As you can see below, my posting on censorship on the Internet, Senate
Bill 314, turns out to be a hoax. Sorry. This happens from time to
time, and I will not forward such messages so quickly in future. Best, Norm
Received this today. Thought you might want to post.

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 09:44:00 CST6CDT
From: Andrew Cohen <ANDREWC@CC1.UCA.EDU>
Subject: Re: Senate Bill 314

regarding the disturbing news of bill 314, the following forwarded
note explains it is all a hoax (?)

Sender: H-NET List for Scholarly Studies and Uses of Media
<H-FILM@msu.edu>
From: "Steven Mintz, U. Houston" <SMintz@UH.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list H-FILM <H-FILM@msu.edu>

Moderator's note:
I would like to thank the many list participants who have
forwarded information about Senate Bill S. 314, "Communications
Decency Act of 1995." I also received the following mesage
from H-Net Central:
This item has been making the rounds. It's an unfounded rumor.
H-Net is getting excellent reports on Washington developments
from Page Miller's NCC Updates.

Page Miller represents the major professional organizations
in the humanities in Washington (such as the American
Historical Association and the Organization of American
Historians). As soon as I hear more from her, I will post
the information.
Thanks,
Steve Mintz

Who starts these things?