Date: Mar 14, 1995 11:21 AM
Author: Bill Richards
Subject: MICHIGAN GATEWAYS-Repeat Broadcast

DUE TO A SATELLITE SCHEDULING ERROR

there will be a special REPEAT BROADCAST

of Michigan Gateways program #305: Tasks for Learning

via satellite

Friday, March 17
1:00 pm - 1:30 pm ET
test signal broadcast from 12:45 pm - 1:00 pm ET

Our recent broadcast of this program on Friday, March 3, took place on a
different transponder, at a different frequency, than was indicated on our
schedule. We apologize for the inconvenience to you.

Our re-broadcast of this program will be at our usual location:

SATELLITE........... K4 (Galaxy 4) at 99 degrees West
DOWNLINK FREQUENCY...11945.0 MHz
TRANSPONDER..........11 Upper (Hughes 61 vertical)
AUDIO SUBCARRIERS... 6.2 and 6.8 MHz

April, May and June broadcasts will be at this same location,
same time, on the first Friday of the month.

Michigan Gateways Program #305
===================================
Tasks for Learning
===================================

This edition of Michigan Gateways examines the kinds of learning
tasks that are favored by today's reform-minded educators.

GATEWAYS REPORT
Our report for this program includes a look at criteria that can
help guide the selection of tasks for student learning. Featured
are comments from Dr. Joe Krajcik, University of Michigan and Dr.
Deborah Ball, Michigan State University. Dr. Krajcik is a co-
director of the NSF-funded Project-Based Science program. Dr. Ball
was a contributing author to the 1991 NCTM document, Professional
Standards for Teaching Mathematics.

FOR DISCUSSION
A physics teacher from Mason High School, in Mason, Michigan,
discusses Amusement Park Physics activities, and lessons she has
learned about developing good tasks for learning.

SPOTLIGHT
Michigan Gateways visits sixth-grade classes at Edmonson Middle
School, Willow Run Community Schools, in Ypsilanti, Michigan -
where students are using spreadsheets to compile data and create
charts and graphs as part of their introduction to statistics.

RESOURCE REVIEW
A brief look at software that teachers may find useful in
developing and planning student tasks.

Michigan Gateways is offered by

Michigan State University
in cooperation with the