Date: Mar 15, 1995 1:45 AM
Author: Angie S. Eshelman
Subject: Everybody Counts questions series

I wanted to reiterate the comments of Steve Means and Mike Goldenberg
regarding Ron Ward's weekly posting of questions from the publication
_Everybody Counts_ and the discussion that Ron was hoping to stimulate on
this list about math ed reform & standards & varying interpretations which
we all derive from the rhetoric (to which many of us subscribe) in the
various NCTM documents and other related publications.

In a previous posting, under another subject heading, I quoted from an NCTM
document on Algebra. It struck me that what was being set forth as the
purpose of the Algebra document also held true for (what some of us were
hoping would be seen as) the purpose of the Everybody Counts discussion
questions. So, I repeat this quotation [with modifications] in an effort
to support the spirit of this effort:

"...[Everybody Counts] and the [related questions] are presented here so
that, in keeping with the charge, this document provides a foundation for
rethinking the [current math ed reforms]. The purpose of the [questions]
is to generate thought, debate, reaction, and attention to the many issues
surrounding [math ed reform]. The [questions] can serve as a motivation
for a continuing series of [email replies] related to [math ed reform].
Various communities should be able to use the [questions] as a basis for
constructing their own vision of [reformed math teaching and learning],
K-12, that will serve the needs of all students. Mathematics teachers,
mathematics supervisors, mathematics teacher-educators,
mathematics-education researchers, mathematics curriculum developers,
textbook authors, mathematicians, policy makers, parents, and community
members will find in the [questions] stimulation for grappling with issues
and decisions related to changes in the teaching and learning of
[mathematics]."

Thanks, Ron, and others who are grappling with these important questions!
Angie
Angie S. Eshelman
116 Erickson Hall Office: (517) 353-0628
Michigan State University E-Mail: eshelma2@student.msu.edu
East Lansing, MI 48824-1034