Date: Mar 16, 1995 6:54 AM
Author: Ben Sultenfuss
Subject: RE: Calculators and Order of Op

Which is correct is what we have defined to be correct.  Perhaps our definition
of correct order of operations needs to be reviewed with an eye to the
world that we live in. What matters is the concept of order of operations
and knowing what order of operations applies in a particlular situation.

Ben
bsultenfuss@sfasu.edu

----------YOUR MESSAGE--------------------YOUR MESSAGE----------
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 22:50:32 -0500 (EST)
From: MAXINE BRIDGER <MBRIDGER@neu.edu>
Subject: calculators and order of op

I'd like to get back to the calculator discussion. Simple 4-function
calculators like those used K-6 often do NOT follow order of
operations--scientific calculators do. Is this confusing for students?

(Try 5+6*2. Is this (5+6)*2 on your calculator or the correct 5+(6*2)?)
Maxine Bridger