Date: May 26, 1995 4:43 PM
Author: Bill Richards
Subject: The World-Wide Web - FREE Satellite TV

   M I C H I G A N   G A T E W A Y S
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
the television program for teachers of
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
M A T H and S C I E N C E

FREE Satellite Broadcast: 6/2/95 1:00pm-1:30pm EDT
(please see complete satellite information below)

broadcast in mid-Michigan on WKAR-TV23
Wednesday, June 7, 1995 1:00pm & 6:00pm EDT

Michigan Gateways Program #308
===================
The World-Wide Web
===================

This edition of Michigan Gateways offers a look at how teachers
can draw on the vast resources of the World-Wide Web (WWW)
computer network to enhance learning for their mathematics and
science students.

GATEWAYS REPORT
In our report for this program we visit just a few of the
thousands of sites on the World-Wide Web that are relevant to math
and science education. Included are comments from Randall Raymond,
a science teacher at Cass Technical High School; and Robert
Filka, Policy Advisor to the Michigan Governor's Office.

FEATURED EXERCISE
Anne Broaddus, teacher at Gates Elementary School in Davison,
Michigan, discusses how she used the Jason Project's on-line
"Spiders of the World" exercise with her fourth grade students.

FROM THE NET
We sent a message out on the Internet asking teachers about their
experience with the WWW. This segment highlights excerpts from
some of the responses we received.

RESOURCE REVIEW
Here are some materials that teachers may wish to draw upon to
address concerns about child safety and appropriate use on the
World-Wide Web.

ADVOCATE FOR REFORM
Futurist Dr. David Thornburg comments about access to on-line
resources like the Web for mathematics and science education in
the Communication Age.

The complete Gateways Guide for this program can be found on
the Michigan State University Gopher service on or shortly after
5/27/95.

Connect to:
gopher.msu.edu.

At MSU's main Gopher menu, select
Computing and Technology Services
At the next menu, select
Michigan Gateways
At the next menu, select
Program #308
Michigan Gateways 1995 Satellite Broadcasts
are on the First Friday of Each Month through June.
SATELLITE: K4 (Galaxy 4) located at 99 degrees West
Downlink Frequency: 11945.0 MHz
Transponder: 11 Upper (Hughes 61 vertical)
Audio Subcarriers: 6.2 and 6.8 MHz
Test Period: 12:45am - 1:00pm EDT
Program Time: 1:00pm - 1:30pm EDT
Please send any questions or comments you might have about this
program to MichGate@msu.edu

LISTSERV@MSU.EDU

The first (and only) line of your message should read:

SUBSCRIBE MGTALK <YOUR NAME>

Michigan Gateways is offered by

Michigan State University
in cooperation with the
Michigan Partnership for New Education

William R. Richards 23156wr@msu.edu
Producer/Director BillR@wkar.msu.edu

MICHIGAN GATEWAYS 212 Communication Arts Bldg
The Television Program East Lansing, MI 48824-1212
for Teachers of ph: 517 355-2300 ext 422
Mathematics and Science fx: 517 353-7124