Date: Oct 11, 1995 5:41 PM
Author: clarkcc@PLU.edu
Subject: Re: Getting students to take responsibility

I've just been watching the conversation so far, but felt I needed to
respond to this.
Certainly lack of motivation has reached epidemic proportions in the
inner cities of America. However, I fail to see how requiring yet
another test of these students is going to increase their motivation in
any way. They don't care if they graduate; why should they care about
one more test?
Perhaps part of the problem here is that we tend to teach (speaking
generally here, not personally) inner-city kids the same way we teach
suburban, middle-class kids. The latter group typically comes to school
with at least some idea that they should try to succeed in school. This
attitude carries over to tests; the students try to do well on tests
because it is expected. This is just part of the middle-class culture.
Judging from your comments, such is obviously not the case in inner-city
communities; so why should another test mean anything at all to them???
I should note that I don't mean this as a personal attack. I'm
honestly interested in hearing more about how and why promotion tests
would motivate students.
Chris Clark
Pacific Lutheran University