Date: Nov 2, 2000 12:44 PM
Author: Ross J. Micheals
Subject: "Representative sampling?"

Is there a statistical definition of "representative sampling?" That is,
is there a way to show that a sampling strategy will yield (within some
tolerance) a sample that is "representative" of the population? For
example, given a sampling strategy with replacement, clearly, if I
always choose the same member/person in my population, then this is
*not* a representative sample (I always get the same person!) What sort
of sampling schemes *are* "representative" (if this is even a meaningful
concept, statistically), and how can one show this?

References or thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.