Date: Jul 5, 1996 5:32 AM
Author: Brian P. Davis
Subject: Help:  Fourier anlysis (transverse waves)

I've been given a problem, and I'm stumped. My professor has assigned us
the problem of determing the y value of the following equation when the
time, t, is not equal to 0.

y = (A cos(wt) + B sin(wt)) sin (wx/c)

I purposely left off the subscripts for readability. A should be A sub n
B should be B sub n, and the same for y and w.

We know the following information:
frequency = 100Hz
length of string = 50cm
string struck by mallet at 12.5 cm (or length / 4)
time increment is 0.0001s

I've already done the integration and have equations for A sub n
and B sub n.

My biggest problem right now is what to do with x. Is it a constant
value (i.e. length / 4) or do you have to calculate for every possible
value of x? If the latter is the case, how do you come upon a final
answer for y? Or am I just way off base?

Thanks for any help,
Brian